To C-Man’s dismay, I absolutely love birthdays especially celebrating his. He was out of town for his special day so I decided that we needed to have a little treat upon his return. Growing up, C-Man enjoyed having his mom’s chocolate bundt cake on his birthday. His mom couldn’t make him one this year, but I attempted to carry on the tradition.
C-Man’s Mom’s Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe
- 1 pkg. Duncan Hines Deluxe Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 pkg. Jello instant chocolate pudding (I went with the sugar-free version)
- 1 8 oz. carton sour cream (C-Man’s mom recommends non-fat but the store only had light)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup brewed instant coffee
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 cup rum (optional – I didn’t have any on hand)
- 1 pkg. 12 oz. chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate – 63% cacao)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips. Fold in chips.
Pour into greased bundt pan.
Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Cool for at least 50 minutes.
This was surprisingly easy to make plus more enjoyable with the vintage bundt pan I found at Goodwill (from the originators of the bundt pan, Northland Aluminum Products. Score!)
C-Man said he liked it, especially with the dark chocolate chips (just not the birthday celebrating part). Glad it turned out well even though I misread the recipe and baked it for 50 minutes instead of 45. Whoops!