In honor of Earth Day yesterday and in preparation for a brunch/craft party next week, I spent my Sunday making decorations and samples from some of C-Man’s old tees. There are so many possibilities for upcycling/reconstructing old tees, just do a quick search on Pinterest. I hate sewing so I only went with no-sew projects. You can do a lot with just scissors and glue. ;-P
Here are some of the items I made (#1-4) or plan to make at the craft party (#5-7):
1. T-shirt Pom Pom Garland by Blog A La Cart – A men’s medium tee makes about five pom poms. Wrapping the t-shirt yarn around my fingers made the pom poms quite small so I went with wrapping it a little loosely 22-23 times around my iphone. I used a long piece of t-shirt yarn and knotted it around each pom pom for hanging. The most time-consuming part was cutting out the long strip to make t-shirt yarn. It seemed to go on forever!
2. Tee Scarf by Shwin & Shwin – Using a men’s medium, I was able to get 15 rings and looped them into quarters. This was a quick project, maybe 30 minutes at most. It’s definitely past scarf weather here in Austin, but this will be a good fall accessory.
3. Jersey Knit Bracelet by V and Co. – I made the two finger version. I was a bit confused on how to connect the different strips so I ended up making an ugly knot when my strips came apart.
4. T-shirt Bag by Leethal – This was super easy and will come in handy at the market.
5. Rosette Jersey Bracelet by U Create – I’ve made these rosettes before for a friend’s wedding and think this would work well for a bracelet, necklace, or headband.
6. T-shirt Flower by A Bit of Sunshine – you can use this technique and cut out circles, rounded squares, hearts, etc. instead of a flower petal to create different flower shapes. You can make these into hair clips, pins, magnets, necklaces—just put a flower on it! 🙂
7. Knotted Headband by You Seriously Made That – except with T-shirt yarn. T-shirt yarn has so many possibilities, especially if you know how to knit.
I’m excited for all the things we’ll make next week and the creativity my friends will bring. I hope you’re inspired to repurpose one of your old tees!